Nếu như bạn có thể sử dụng được các Idioms một cách thành thạo đặc biệt là trong bài thi IELTS Speaking, nhất định bạn sẽ gây ấn tượng đối với giám khảo và band điểm thi của bạn chắc chắn sẽ cao hơn đó. Hôm nay Ames English sẽ tổng hợp cho bạn những Idioms hay nên sử dụng trong bài thi IELTS của mình, các bạn hãy tham khảo nhé!
1. at all costs: bằng mọi giá
Ex: My dream is to become a successful businessman and I will work hard for it at all costs.
2. be out of your depth: trong tình thế khó xử/khó khăn
Ex: I am used to teaching General English but I was out of my depth when I had to teach Academic English.
3. explore all avenues: suy tính đến các hướng/bước để tránh xảy ra vấn đề/hậu quả xấu
Ex: We need to explore all avenues before doing something that is not very safe to a great number of people in order to minimize unfavourable consequences.
4. let's face it: hãy đối mặt/chấp nhận thực tế/sự thật
Ex: Let's face it. You won't be able to achieve 7.0 IELTS if you do not work hard.
5. behind the times: lỗi thời, hết thời
Ex: My friend never likes using smartphones. She's so behind the times.
6. in deep water: trong tình thế nguy hiểm/khó khăn
Ex: He has not submitted his dissertation so he's in deep water.
7. put yourself in somebody's shoes: thử đặt mình vào vị trí/hoàn cảnh của người khác
Ex: If you put yourself in my shoes, you would understand why I made that decision
8. to be up in arms about something: tức giận, buồn bực vì điều gì đó
Ex: She has been up in arms about the rent increase.
9. as easy as pie = It’s a piece of cake: rất dễ, dễ như ăn bánh
Ex: He said it is a difficult problem, but I don't agree. It seems as easy as pie to me!
10. be sick and tired of: tôi ghét (tôi không chịu được)
Ex: I'm sick and tired of doing nothing but work. Let's go out tonight and have fun.
11. bend over backwards: rất cố gắng ( có khi quá sức )
Ex: He bent over backwards to help her.
12. sleep on it: suy nghĩ trước khi quyết định
Ex: That sounds like a good deal, but I'd like to sleep on it before I give you my final decision.
13. change one's mind: đổi ý
Ex: I was planning to work late tonight, but I changed my mind. I'll do extra work on the weekend instead.
14. Cut it out!: dừng làm việc gì xấu
Ex: That noise is really annoying. Cut it out!
15. drop someone a line: gửi 1 lá thư hay email cho ai đó
Ex: It was good to meet you. Drop me a line when you have time.
16. figure something out: hiểu được vấn đề gì
Ex: I don't understand how to solve this problem. Take a look at it. Maybe you can figure it out.
17. fill in for someone: làm dùm ai khi họ vắng mặt
Ex: While I was away from the store, my brother filled in for me.
18. give someone a hand: giúp đỡ ai 1 tay
Ex: I want to move this desk. Can you give me a hand?
19. hit the hay: đi ngủ
Ex: It's after 12 o'clock. I think it's time to hit the hay.
20. in the black: sinh lời, có lời
Ex: Our business is really improving. We've been in the black all year.
21. in the red: mất tiền, lỗ
Ex: Business is really going poorly these days. We've been in the red for the past three months.
22. in the nick of time: vừa kịp lúc
Ex: I got to the drugstore just in the nick of time. I really need this medicine!
23. keep one's chin up: dũng cảm và tiếp tục
Ex: I know things have been difficult for you recently, but keep your chin up. It will get better soon.
24. know something like the back of your hand: biết việc gì rất rõ
Ex: If you get lost, just ask me for directions. I know this part of town like the back of my hand.
25. once in a while: đôi khi, lâu lâu
Ex: Have you been to the new movie theater? No, only see movies once in a while.
26. Don't judge a book by its cover: đừng đánh giá một sự vật/sự việc/con người chỉ qua vẻ bề ngoài
Ex: He doesn't look very intelligent, but you can't judge a book by its cover.
27. miss the boat = to miss an opportunity: đánh mất cơ hội
Ex: If you don't buy now, you may find that you've missed the boat.
28. feeling under the weather: cảm thấy không khỏe, không được tốt
Ex: If you're feeling under the weather, you should go home and get some rest.
29. leave no stone unturned: làm tất cả để đạt mục tiêu
Ex: I'll leave no stone unturned until I find out the reason
30. hit the nail on the head: đoán đúng, nói đúng
Ex: You hit the nail on the head when you used idioms in the speaking test.
31. sit on the fence: lưỡng lự
Ex: You can't sit on the fence any longer, you have to decide where you go
32. take something for granted: coi gì đó như một điều hiển nhiên
Ex: He took her help for granted without saying thank you.
33. blow somebody away: làm ai đó ngạc nhiên
Ex: Winning first prize and full scholarship blew her away.
34. once in a blue moon = very rarely: rất hiếm khi
Ex: I used to see him all the time, but now he just visits me once in a blue moon.
35. run of the mill = average, ordinary: bình thường
Ex: The restaurant we went to was nothing special, just run of the mill.
36. down in the dumps = sad: buồn
Ex: He's down in the dumps because all his friends are out of town.
37. cost an arm and a leg = really expensive: rất đắt đỏ
Ex: I'd love to buy a Lamborghini supercar, but it costs an arm and a leg.
38. find my feet: Cảm thấy thoải mái để làm việc gì
Ex: Moving to a new city was difficult at first, but I soon found my feet.
39. read one’s mind: đọc được suy nghĩ của ai đó
Ex: I was surprised he knew what I was planning, like he could read my mind.
40. over the moon: vô cùng hài lòng và hạnh phúc
Ex: I was over the moon when I passed my speaking test.
Thứ Hai - 19.04.2021
Thứ Năm - 15.10.2020
Thứ Năm - 27.08.2020
Thứ Bảy - 20.03.2021
Thứ Năm - 07.01.2016